Friday, January 13, 2012

Christmas 2011


Christmas Eve after church at Little Flower we headed to my parents for dinner. This is going to become a new tradition for our family since Christmas Eve was always so special for me.  Joe's parents and Eric came as well. We had a nice dinner and then looked at Christmas lights on our way home. It was a perfect evening.

Since I was off the week before Christmas the kids had their morning sleep in routine in place and slept in until 9:00, which would have been okay had we not had several other places to go that day. But we did our best that morning to make it a special one. We let them open gifts which JR was totally into and Emily helped out a little but was really interested in playing with the toys rather than unwrapping. Santa brought a play tent and a Disney game for the TV. JR got a skateboard and ramp, Emily got Little People toys. They loved them all. 


JR was very sweet, he kept giving hugs and loves to Em telling her thank you. Even after Christmas he told me, "Thanks for the best Christmas ever Mom." 


After gifts at our house we went to my parents to open gifts. The kids got an easel, and clothes. Emily got her first Cabbage Patch doll, and JR got some cool Hot Wheels toys and his first slinky from Grandpa. 


After my parents we wen't to Joe's parent's to open gifts. It really is fun getting to stretch Christmas out so much. Some people hate all the driving, but in my opinion we put so much work into shopping and preparing for this day that only comes once a year, why not make the magic last a little longer than a few short hours in the morning opening gifts. In fact we made it last until Epiphany but I'll do a separate post for that later. 

This picture above is Cora opening a ceramic snowman that the kids panted earlier this year for her. I don't think it will ever be placed in the Smithsonian, but it is a real work of art as far as a Grandma is concerned. 


Opening gifts over there is really magical. Being a semi-only child and getting to open presents for just a little while in the morning by myself with my parents was very classic and wonderful. However the chaos and energy that exudes the Hoffman house on Christmas should be bottled. Let me paint the picture for you: there are enough gifts to wrap the globe a few times (which it still gives me the tingly excitement when I see that many gifts under the tree even at 32), dogs running through mounds of paper, tissue and bows, kids running amok opening pretty much any gift they can get their hands on and just as quickly stuffing chocolate in their faces, Cora and Melissa trying to keep things all in order, Joe leaned back complaining about the number of gifts and the places they were bought, Bob popping in and out of the room observing all the busyness...I still think he has a few gifts he hasn't opened, Eric taking pictures and laughing, and me sitting quietly smiling and with a whole heart. I don't want to dismiss the happiness I experienced in my youth but there is nothing like a big family especially on Christmas.

This was another great Christmas. I'm glad Joe and I are finding our way as we create our family traditions. They give me a new sense of purpose and make me fill a little more whole. I hope JR and Emily look back on these year with a sense of happiness, pride and fulfillment as Joe and I do about Christmas' when we were young. 

No comments:

You Might Also Like...